Saturday, March 17, 2012

J'ai Couru Dans Le Forêt

"I Ran In The Forest"

Went on lovely run yesterday just before the sun dipped behind the horizon.  It thought how nice it would be to get out of the stuffy house and see the sunset through the trees (les arbres). Though I found, in fact, trees obscure sunsets and most assuredly detract from the sight, the forest itself was beautiful. 

About a quarter of a mile down the road from the house im staying in is the humble entrance to le forêt de Phalempin (the forest of Phalempin- yep pretty self explanatory).  The forest is small in ecological standards but remains easily vast enough to get quite lost in (according to my standards) so as a result, I chose my route with shrewdness and discernment; going in as straight of lines as i could follow and making directional marks where i could. The sun was a low in the sky and I didn't want to get caught out in the middle of a forest, lost, without phone service, and sans even a light to guide my steps.  Trying to stay true to my better instincts, and with no one to impress, about a mile and a half into the run, it decided it prudent to turn back and retrace slightly more familiar ground in the dim light than continue forward into dark territory when light was failing quickly. so back, running to beat the darkness, i turned and followed my directions(see below) home at the mouth of the forest arriving just barely before i no longer see my own feet. 

I'll do it again, just not a night.  


My somewhat bleak yet beautiful run in Le Forêst de Phalempin..
I guess this is what it supposedly looks like in the spring.  Kind of a stark difference from what  is present now. (stock photo of this forest)


The twists and turns of an unfamiliar forest compelled me to utilize primitive signage to find me way home.  A ball a string was a close second. 

No comments:

Post a Comment